BitKE sat down for an exclusive interview with the founder of Machankura – the first Bitcoin USSD service in Africa.
Machankura is a slang word for “money” in South African townships.
Discussing the challenges encountered while launching Machankura, Kgothasso, the founder of the service, pointed out that getting reliable service providers was a big challenge.
With the exception of Namibia, Machankura has rolled out the service through Africa’s Talking in the other markets where it is currently operational.
In this interview, you will learn:
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 02:44 How did Machankura come?
- 04:30 – The Meaning of Machankura
- 05:09 – Challenges of a USSD crypto in Africa
- 07:47 – About the legal implications
- 10:10 – About the expansion of Machankura
- 11:06 – Find usernames
- 13:12 – Number of current usersCountry
- 14:48 – About Satoshi
- 16:26 – Ease of getting a Machankura account
- 17:41 – Operating base network
- 22:05 – Transaction ratefees
- 22:50 – Machankura Partnerships
- 24:54 – Futuristic blueprints
- 25:53 – Advice to startups